[Review] The Guardian - Nicholas Sparks

Tittle of the Book : The Guardian
Author : Nicholas Sparks
Publisher : Grand Central Publishing

Julie Barenson's young husband left her two unexpected gifts before he died: a Great Dane puppy named Singer and the promise that he would always be watching over her. Now, four years have passed. Still living in the small town of Swansboro, North Carolina, 29-year-old Julie is emotionally ready to make a commitment to someone again. But who? Should it be Richard Franklin, the handsome, sophisticated engineer who treats her like a queen? Or Mike Harris, the down-to-earth nice guy who was her husband's best friend? Choosing one of them should bring her more happiness than she's had in years. Instead, Julie is soon fighting for her life in a nightmare spawned by a chilling deception and jealousy so poisonous that it has become a murderous desire....


I've got three Sparks's books waiting to be read and I chose this instead. I was hoping to get a light reading, not-so-romance, and that's exactly what I got. The Guardian is about a young widow named Julie. Two things that her husband left for her were a Great Dane puppy and a promise to protect her from above. When she was finally ready to start dating again, she met this amazing man named Richard. Richard was a good looking sophisticated engineer who had just moved into town. Meanwhile, her husband's best friend who's also her friend, Mike, started giving signals to her to show that he could be more than just a friend. So Julie had to choose between Mike and Richard.
In the first few chapters, I set my heart on Richard. But, as his relationship with Julie developed, I got to learn  more of his .. creepy characteristics. He's a character that leaves deep impression on me. Somehow, he gives me an insight about stalker. How dangerous stalker is and stalker could be anyone in your life.
I was drawn to The Guardian since the chapter where Richard started showing unusual behavior *I start to sound like a police now -__-*. From that point, Sparks successfully caught my attention. It's hard for me to put down the book because I was curious about the continuation of the story. Even though Sparks is famous for his tearjerker specialty, I might say he did a good job in this love/thriller story. I miss the feeling that I get when I watch or read crime suspense story like Harris's Hannibal, and I got that while reading this book (not exactly the same, but quite the same). Like any other Sparks's story, there's a bit cliche in The Guardian too, but still acceptable. :)



No comments :

Post a Comment