[Review] The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice

Title of Book : The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #2)
Author : Anne Rice
Publisher : Ballantine Books
Lestat. The vampire hero of Anne Rice’s enthralling novel is a creature of the darkest and richest imagination. Once an aristocrat in the heady days of pre-revolutionary France, now a rock star in the demonic, shimmering 1980s, he rushes through the centuries in search of others like him, seeking answers to the mystery of his eternal, terrifying existence. His is a mesmerizing story–passionate, complex, and thrilling.

I read this book as a part of Anne Rice reading challenge hosted by The Towering Pile. The Vampire Lestat is the second book in the Vampire Chronicles series. I don’t really like the first book and you can read why here. Despite that, I still want to give a chance to the second book and continue participating the reading challenge no matter how many Anne Rice’s books I’ll read until the end of the year.
First of all, this book is so thick it took me 9 months to finish it. I started reading The Vampire Lestat on my e-reader. Then, it felt like the book has no end because there’s no physical proof of the thickness of it. I didn’t know exactly how many pages left to read. Reading this book felt exhausting when actually I did enjoy this book more than Interview with The Vampire. I changed into reading a physical copy of the book and finally I could finish The Vampire Lestat.
This book is like a biography of Lestat (in the end, I found out that it actually is a biography of Lestat). It tells Lestat’s life from before he’s a vampire until he becomes a vampire rock star. As the story grows, I become fond of Lestat. I think he’s a complex character and his character develops realistically.
It took me long to finish it because sometimes there are unnecessary descriptions which bored me. That makes me want to skip the part or didn’t want to read the book any further. But I’m glad that I could get to the end of the book.
I’m a bit confused about the consistency between this book and the previous book. In the first book, Lestat met Louis and moved into his house with his father. In this book, Lestat only talked a bit about his father and he didn’t mention that he went to New Orleans with his father or do I miss something?
Anyway, I give this book three out of five. If you like Interview with The Vampire, you should read this one because I think that this book is better than the first one. I might want to read The Queen of The Damned soon.


No comments :

Post a Comment