[Review] The Queen of Damned (Vampire Chronicles #3) - Anne Rice

Title of Book : The Queen of the Damned (Vampire Chronicles #3)
Author : Anne Rice
Publisher : Ballantine Books

In the process of successfully "outing" himself as a vampire via his simultaneous career choices of rock star, author, and actor, Lestat has annoyed much of the vampire "community," who are furious that he has revealed their secrets (even if most of Lestat's fans don't really believe in his bloodsucking ways). More importantly, however, Lestat's antics have awakened the legendary Akasha, the mother of all vampires, and she is not exactly pleased with the way things have been going in the 6,000 years since she last ruled the world.



The Queen of the Damned is the third book in Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. This book is set before Lestat’s concert until a while after the concert. The Queen of the Damned is narrated by Lestat, though some chapters are claimed to be narrated by characters whose minds are read by Lestat. 
Before I talk more about the book, I must say, I’m proud of myself that I’m able to finish this book in 8 days. Because, FYI, I finished The Vampire Lestat in months and this book is quite chunky. 
In this book, more characters are introduced, besides those vampires that are mentioned in Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. The story gets more interesting because this book talks about the history of creation of the vampires in Vampire Chronicles world. The characters in this book are somehow connected by some weird dreams that they keep having prior to Lestat’s big concert. This dream starts appearing after Akasha, The Queen of All Vampires, is awoken from her deep sleep because of Lestat’s songs. The dream, which is later known as The Legend of The Twins, is correlated with how vampires are first created.
The Queen of the Damned is intense. Reading this book is exhausting. Especially because of the legend, it keeps being mentioned in the book but not explained until last chapters. It really intrigued me. Anne Rice put an interesting twist on the Egypt mythology to describe the creation of vampires. I find her vampires myth unique and I actually love it.
Unlike the previous book, this book is quite fast paced and has gory details in it. At some point, I almost threw up while I was reading the book. Lestat is still my favorite vampire and Armand is also my favorite vampire now. I hate him in The Vampire Lestat but as I get to know him more and more in this book, I grow to like him. He is one of the vampires who live his vampire life to the fullest. Since he has all the time in the world, he uses that to make a lot of money and learn as much as he can which is awesome. Well, that’s what I would do if I were a vampire. All in all, I think the book in this series keeps getting better and better and I can’t wait to read the fourth book which is The Tale of the Body Thief.



No comments :

Post a Comment