[Review] Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

Title of Book: Murder on the Orient Express
Series: Hercule Poirot
Author: Agatha Christie
Publisher: Bantam Books
Publication Year: 1983
Language: English
Format: Digitalized book (borrowed from library)
Pages: 213



"The murderer is with us - on the train now..."
Just after midnight, the famous Orient Express is stopped in its tracks by a snowdrift. By morning, the millionaire Samuel Ratchett lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside. One of his fellow passengers must be the murderer.
Isolated by the storm and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must find the killer amongst a dozen of the dead man's enemies, before the murderer decides to strike again...



Murder on the Orient Express is a remarkable mystery fiction. Of all Christie’s books that I’ve read, this is the only one that I believe I could solve. Though as a matter of fact, I already knew the solution. One of my high school friends told me that this book’s messed up. She unintentionally revealed the suspects to me. So I know what to expect from this book.
In this book we follow Poirot who’s travelling from Istanbul to London on Orient Express. At that time of the year, the train is unusually crowded. Aside of Poirot and his friend Bouc, the passengers of the train consist of people with different nationalities, occupations, and personalities. Bouc is actually the director of the company that operates Orient Express. After boarding, an American millionaire named Ratchett tries to hire Poirot because he believes that his life is being threatened. Despite the large sum of money that Ratchett offers, Poirot refuses to handle the case. On the second night while the train is stopped by snow, a murder happens. Ratchett is dead. A doctor named Constantine who happens to be on the train confirms that Ratchett is stabbed 12 times in his sleep. In order to avoid complications with Yugoslav police and bureaucracy, M. Bouc asks Poirot to investigate the case. M. Bouc and Dr. Constantine then assist Poirot to solve the mystery.
I told you before that this is the book that I believe I could solve. Mostly because I love the order of this book’s storyline. I think this book is well-organized, which makes it easy to trace the evidence if you want to try investigating along with Poirot. First, we have the chapter where the crime happens. Afterward there are chapters where Poirot interviews each passenger. After that we’re faced with the weapon, evidence, and a review of unanswered questions. It’s easy to follow and if you’re attentive enough, I’m sure you can solve the mystery. As for me, I know beforehand so I had a starting point.
When my friend told me what really happens on the train, I was like “you’re right that is so messed up. How and why?” Then I read the book. At first, I couldn’t see that what my friend said is the answer because I didn’t see the connection. As the story goes, it felt like peeling layer after layer of the mystery. In the end, it comes full circle and yes it’s possible. My friend is right, it really is the answer.
I’m sorry if my explanation seems vague. It’s quite difficult to talk about this book without giving away anything. Overall in my opinion, Murder on the Orient Express is one of Christie’s greatest works. I already knew the solution of the case, yet I enjoyed reading this book. I didn’t give it full ratings because of the spoiler. Still, it’s a book that you wouldn’t want to miss.


No comments :

Post a Comment