[Review] The Walking Dead Vol 19 - 21

Title: The Walking Dead Vol 19: March to War
Issues: #109-#114
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2013
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 3/5



By far, we’ve been introduced to Negan and we’ve seen how dangerous Negan is. Rick has tried to take down Negan, but he failed. Jesus, determined to end Negan’s reign, showed Rick that there’s a hope after all to defeat Negan. There’s this other community whose leader also determined to defeat Negan. So they united and plan to have a war against Negan.
There’s not much going on in this volume. This volume is mostly about how Rick and other leaders joined forces and organized a plan to attack Negan and the so-called saviors. I believe March to War is a set up for the war that’s coming in the next volumes. Negan is different from Governor. Negan isn’t just plain mean. He’s more interesting than the Governor, though I still hate him so much. Especially because he speaks profanity a lot. It’s supposed to make him look scarier, but everything he says doesn’t make any sense which makes him appear silly and crazy to me. Since it takes long to organize this attack, I believe the next volume will be intense.


Title: The Walking Dead Vol 20: All Out War Part 1
Issues: #115-#120
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2014
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 5/5



The war is finally here and it’s intense. Judging from the subtitle of this volume we know that it would be a long war. Rick has pretty much thought about everything. I didn’t expect him to plan on using the undead for his advantage. Jesus has become one of the crucial characters of The Walking Dead. Sometimes he seems to me as a replacement for Abraham; though of course he’s different from Abraham. I love how Maggie finally took a stand at the hilltop. She’s my favorite character from the TV show, because she grows a lot. So it frustrated me that her character is not well developed in the graphic novel.
The first part of the war looks good for Rick’s group. I’m not sure it will always be that way. I’ve prepared myself when things go ugly. I can see that Negan’s so pissed already knowing that Rick is planning to attack him. So I believe he will go all out for his counter attack. I like it that this war isn’t going to be easy for Rick and I can’t predict easily who’ll win. Because at this point, anything could happen.


Title: The Walking Dead Vol 21: All Out War Part 2
Issues: #121-#126
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Illustrator: Charlie Adlard, Stefano Gaudiano
Publisher: Image Comics
Publication year: 2014
Language: English
Pages: 136
Rating: 5/5



After destroying Alexandria, Rick’s group and the other evacuates to Hilltop. Of course Negan won’t stop at just throwing grenades to Alexandria. Rick seems prepared, but Negan apparently is more prepared than Rick. I appreciate it that Kirkman makes Negan a smarter villain, not just cruel. Which makes him an equal match to Rick. Negan discovered something about the undead and he uses it as an advantage against Rick. Then there’s also Dwight, the savior who acts as some kind of double agent. Rick didn’t trust him, until he ‘saved’ him. The war gets really ugly. I almost afraid to see the outcome. But Rick’s final plan is awesome. I find it disturbing that Negan is actually believe that the communities would be able to create a better future with him in the equation. Sure, he won’t take half of other communities’ supplies. But is that it? Won’t he just find another way to bully other communities and his people? So far, this is the most intense story arc. I’m hoping that there won’t be any ‘Negan’ in the next volumes.



No comments :

Post a Comment