[Review] Torso - Brian Michael Bendis & Marc Andreyko

Title: Torso
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis & Marc Andreyko
Illustrator: Brian Michael Bendis
Publisher: Marvel
Publication year: 2012
Language: English
Pages: 280



The gripping tale of Eliot Ness' chase of America's first serial killer: the mysterious torso killer! This 1999 Eisner Award-winner for Comic Book Excellence is completely reformatted, and perfect for both new readers and old! "A four-star must read!" - Comic Shop News "Literally some of the best comics i've read indecades." - Todd McFarlane



Torso is a graphic novel based on a real story of The Cleveland Torso Murderer. Knowing the nickname of the murderer, you know it won’t be pretty. It is gruesome. We follow the infamous Eliot Ness along with two detectives in an attempt to solve the Torso Murderer case. The story is quite engrossing, especially because I love reading about crime mystery. But the writing is weird for me. The characters use unusual words which I assume is usual in the 30s. But that’s okay. It didn’t bother me much.
The illustration is in black and white and it’s drawn in a kind of noir artwork. I don’t know what it’s called actually but I think it’s cool. I would appreciate it more if only the artwork style doesn’t make it difficult for me to distinguish each character. But once I get the hang of it, it doesn’t really bother me. Reading this graphic novel feels like watching movie. I love the transition between one scene to other. The frame placement is unlike other graphic novels that I’ve read. Even sometimes they all blend in one page which makes it confusing and a bit difficult to read. Despite that, the dialog bubble placement makes it easy to follow the conversation. They also include real photos and newspaper clips from the real case archive. Real photographs are often spliced into the artwork. That and the noir style combined resulting in a creepy atmosphere. All in all, Torso is an interesting read. Not the most fun read with all the decapitated head and bodies, but I enjoyed reading Torso. 




No comments :

Post a Comment