Top Five Books that Took You the Longest to Finish

Source
Hello fellow readers! This post is part of Top Five Wednesday, which is a weekly feature created by Lainey from Gingerreadslainey but now is hosted by Sam from ThoughtsOnTomes. More information about T5W is provided at its goodreads group page. This week's topic is five books that took you the longest to finish. For this topic I actually refer to my goodreads shelves and count the days I spent reading these books based on the date I started reading and finished the books. With a little help from Excel of course. Anyway, here are the books that took me the longest to finish.


1. The Vampire Lestat (Vampire Chronicles #2) - Anne Rice
It took me 236 days to finish this book or about 8 months. I remember not really liking the first book in the series and I read this book in Mass Market Paperback version which has about 550 pages. I think I read this along with other books. Since I didn't enjoy this book probably I often put it aside and read the other book instead. I do like the next book in the series though.

2. Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles #1) - Anne Rice
It took me 78 days to finish this book or about 2-3 months. It took me less time than the second book because I believe it's shorter than the second book. I didn't enjoy this book because it's the first book in the series. This book is supposed to be an introduction to Anne Rice's vampire chronicles world, but I don't feel like it does the job. The third book, the Queen of the Damned, is what hooked me into the series. Because that's where the vampire mythology is finally explained to the readers.

3. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #4) - Arthur Conan Doyle
I spent 74 days to finish this book. This one I don't understand because I like Sherlock Holmes so much. I don't remember why it took me long to finish this book. This book is a collection of short stories. Maybe I read it along with other books and I didn't read the stories back to back.

4. Dracula - Bram Stoker
Dracula is a classic horror story and it took me 60 days to finish this book. Classic books often intimidate me. I remember that I didn't read as much as I do now when I read this book. So I took my time to finish this book afraid that I would 'miss' something. I'll probably re-read this book someday anyway.

5. Supernova: Akar (Supernova #2) - Dee Lestari
This book is the second book in Supernova series written by an Indonesian author. It took me 59 days to finish this book. Usually for me, books written in my native language are faster to read, especailly the one that only has 202 pages. But this series is a dense series. I still don't know where to categorize the series, whether it's a science fiction or fantasy or magical realism. Point is, the series is quite difficult to understand especially the first two books. This tends to intimidate people, but I think it's a brilliant series and it's worth to read.

There you have it. Have you read any of these books? How long did it take you to finish it? What other books that took a while for you to finish? feel free to leave your answer in the comment section. Have a nice day!

No comments :

Post a Comment