May 2017 Wrap-Up & Favorites

Hello fellow readers, it's the start of a new month and it's time for another wrap-up. Let me tell you, I'm happy with what I read in May. I read a total of 7 books! se-ven! That's a lot for me. I also managed to start a series which been sitting on my shelf for years (and finished it! But technically I read the last book in June so it doesn't count). Anyhoo, here are the books I read in May.

Books read in May


some_text Simon vs The Homosapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli (★★★★)
This book had a lot of hype on blogosphere and booktube when it first came out. I can see why. I tried to lower my expectation so I wouldn't be disappointed. It's difficult but you know what, this book delivers. It does. I love it. It's cute and funny. Simon is entertaining to read.I'm interested to read Becky Albertalli's next book.
some_text Gantung – Nadia Khan (★★★)
Gantung is a horror book written by a Malaysian writer. Truthfully, I'm not one to read horror books. I'm a wimp. But I read this book's premise and the mystery got me curiouser and curiouser. The beginning of this book is scary. Ghosts everywhere. Not surprising though, considering how South East Asian culture is full of myths about ghosts and whatnot. I know that fact, because I've lived in Indonesia my entire life and that's just how we roll. Anyway, I've written and posted a review this book in Bahasa Indonesia.
some_text I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls #1) – Ally Carter (★★★★)
This book is the first in a series called Gallagher Girls. It's a series about young girls who goes to The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. The school itself is actually a spy school. The series specifically follows Cameron Cammie Morgan and her roommates navigating the world of espionage and being teenage girls. It's a fun book. I enjoyed reading it. I've actually written a full review of this book if you want to know more about my thoughts on it.
some_text Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls #2) – Ally Carter (★★★★)
Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy is the second book in the Gallagher Girls series. I couldn't tell much about the plot because it's the second book in a series. It's still a fun book and a new significant character is introduced. Let's just say I like this new character. In fact, he's the highlight of this book for me. I just love reading about these girls. I love spy fiction anyway so if you've read the first book and like what you read. I suggest continuing reading the second book.
some_text Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls #3) – Ally Carter (★★★)
This book is the third book of the Gallagher Girls series. Since it's a sequel, I won't explain more about the plot. Like the previous ones, this book is still fun but it takes a little dark turn when the girls faced a real threat. What makes me lower my rating for this book is because I didn't have enough of Zach, which is one of the intriguing characters in this book. It depends though, if you're not seeking for romance, this book might be for you. Because it focuses more on the action and less on the boy stuff. That being said, I believe this book is the setup for the main plot of this series which is Cammie's family past and a secret ancient organization. I did enjoy reading this book.
some_text Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls #4) - Ally Carter (★★★)
I obviously can't describe the plot of this book because it's directly connected to the previous book. All I'm gonna say is that in the fourth book, the story has become more focus on the evil ancient organization and its ties to some characters in the book. The book has more action and less romance. It reads like those serious spy movies. It's darker than the previous ones. Still, the mystery keeps on making me want to read more.
some_text Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls #5) - Ally Carter (★★★)
This book is the fifth book in the Gallagher Girls series. Wow, this one is fully action packed. In this book we see more of the bigger picture of the ancient terrorist organization plot. Reading this one is quite exhausting and emotional because of everything that Cammie went through. Again, I can't describe the plot without spoiling it. What I can say is, the series is getting darker and darker. But I'm so excited to see how this series ends


May Favorites


Books

Simon vs The Homosapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli

TV Series

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Season 4

Source
I finally caught up on Agents of Shield. The last time I watched it was the end of the Ghost Rider pod (or story arc). Then I kind of forget about this show. Until the Agents of Hydra pod started and my sister raved about how good it was. So I watched it and boy was it good. It was intense and emotional. I must say, this show is getting better and better. I especially love how grown Fitz and Simmons are. They've been through so much. Then there's Phill Coulson and May, ugh I just want them to be happy. Also, Aida is a villain that you love to hate. She has so much layer and complexity for a villain. I haven't really seen that kind of villain in TV shows beside Evil Queen/ Regina from Once Upon a Time. What I'm saying is, if you've watched AoS but stopped because you can't get through season 1, please hang on a bit. It gets better.

Music

My playlist for May is pretty chill (or sappy if you want to be blunt). I mean, let's be real. It contains songs by Ed Sheeran and The Corrs; and we're not talking about Galway Girl or Shape of You or Breathless or So Young. It's Perfect, How Would You Feel, and Don't Say You Love Me among other things. I ... don't... know what's gotten into me. Maybe because my life's pretty chill at the time; or maybe because the weather was cloudy if not raining most of the time. I don't know.

There you have it! What a great reading month. It's so satisfying to finally check off some books from my TBR shelf. I've also caught up with Agents of SHIELD. While I'm waiting for season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I also continue on watching Once Upon A Time Season 6. Currently, I'm on episode 16 so my plan for June is probably to finish it. That's my May, how about you? Did you read good books? Or watched good TV shows/movies? Hope you have a wonderful month ahead!

No comments :

Post a Comment